It is time to update our 2019 Summer Streaming Series with some exciting new streaming services to watch in 2020! We have a lot to cover, so let’s jump right in!
Make Sure You Have the Speed You Need to Binge All this New Content, With OTELCO’s Free Bandwidth Calculator
Disney’s long-awaited streaming service was released in November of 2019. It emerged with a ton of great Disney content, as well as some Fox favorites like Ten Things I Hate About You and The Simpsons. The movie mammoth also dipped into the original content stream.
Disney+ is available for $6.99 a month or $69.99 a year. You can also bundle with Hulu and ESPN+ for $12.99.
Where to Watch
You can watch Disney+ on your:
- Computer or Mobile Device
- Play Station 4 and Xbox One
- Amazon Fire
- Apple TV 4th Gen and Up
- Smart TV’s
Five Exciting Pieces of Content from Disney+
Disney+ has so much content, ranging from their original 1920’s cartoons to docu-series that provide an inside look at the magic of Disney. Here is what we are most excited about from the streaming service:
- Nostalgic Movies: There is nostalgia abound on Disney+. There are the classic live-action pieces like Swiss Family Robinson, the animated films that started it all, such as Cinderella, and the full Pixar collection.
- Spin-offs: The majority of Disney’s original content are spin-offs of their well-loved movie series. There will be several Marvel and Star Wars’ shows, a spin-off of the cult classic Willow, a Mighty Ducks reboot, and a much anticipated National Treasure
- New Releases: One of the best parts of having Disney+ is access to their latest releases. During the pandemic, they released their most recent Pixar film, Onward, the freshest installment to the Star Wars family, The Rise of Sky Walker, and Malificent: Mistress of Evil, the sequel to their reimagined take on Sleeping Beauty.
Apple TV+ came out right around the same time as Disney+, and it made a big splash with its award-winning drama The Morning Show and children’s content like their Ghostwriter reboot. The streaming service continues to push out new material and has generated some serious award-season buzz with their newest crime-drama Defending Jacob.
Apple TV+ is $4.99 a month. Currently, when you buy a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac Computer, you can get a free year of the streaming service.
Where to Watch
You can watch Apple TV+ almost anywhere. Currently, it is not available on Chromecast, though there are some workarounds for that. Apple TV+ can be streamed on:
- Your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or Computer
- Apple TV (4K, HD, and 3rd generation)
- Samsung Smart TVs
- Amazon Fire TV
- LG Smart TVs
- Vizio and Sony Smart TVs
Exciting Content from Apple+
If you have ever seen a clip from Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference, you know they have always had a flair for the dramatic. That same theatrical inclination is present in their collection of original content that hails some of Hollywood’s biggest names, like M. Night Shyamalan and Samuel L. Jackson. Here are the shows and movies we are most excited about:
- Big Dramas: We won’t waste any more time talking about The Morning Show or rehashing our excitement over Defending Jacob. Instead, we will draw your attention to Apple TV+’s dramatized look at the true-crime podcasting, Truth where Octavia Spencer plays a podcaster investigating the wrongful conviction of Aron Paul. If you are less into crime and more into period pieces, try the service’s aptly named series life of Emily Dickenson,
- Fun Comedies: Apple TV+’s newest comedy, Central Park, is coming out May 29th. It is an animated comedy by the creators of Bob’s Burgers centered around, you guessed it, NYC’s Central Park. There is also Mythic Quest, a well-reviewed a video-game centered comedy from the comedic geniuses that brought us Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
- Beautiful Movies: Along with their catalog of rich original shows, Apple TV+ is delving into movies as well. Hala is a moving film that follows a 17-year-old Pakistani American teenager as she tries to navigate her desires while honoring her family’s culture. If you are looking for something lighter, Here We Are is a creative animated movie about life on Earth, based on the children’s book by Oliver Jeffers.
AT&T’s long-awaited streaming service is finally here! Though it faced some bumps along the way, HBO Max promises to be worth the wait, with thousands of hours of TV and movies for us to enjoy!
Like its predecessor, HBO Now, HBO Max is $14.99 a month. Though it is one of the more expensive on-demand streaming services out there, we think it is well worth it for all the content you will have right at your fingertips.
Where to Watch
Currently, HBO Max is not available on Roku or Amazon Fire. An oversight considering, they are the #1 and #2 streaming platforms in the US. You can still watch it on these platforms though:
- iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD)
- Android and Google Devices (including Chromecast)
- Play Station 4
- Xbox One
- Select Samsung Smart TV’s (2016 and up)
Exciting Content from HBO Max
Since AT&T acquired Warner Brothers, they have a crazy amount of content to share with us, including some much-anticipated original series (a Grease and Gossip Girl reboot amongst them). Here is what we are most excited for:
- Bingable Favorites: When it comes to TV, HBO Max has come to play, with shows like The Fresh Prince, Rick and Morty, Sesame Street, and beloved cartoons like Looney Toons and Scooby-Doo. It also has a substantial movie collection, including Turner Classic Movies, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Crazy Rich Asians, and the DC Comic universe.
- Original Series: Along with all its existing HBO shows and movies, the new streaming service will also produce some exciting original series. On launch, it already has an romantic comedy starring Anna Kendrick and a vogue competition series that puts the Ballroom scene front and center. Soon to come are many more titles. Top of mind for this writer being: The Prince, an animated comedy by the producers of Family Guy about the British royal family; Overlook, a new Steven King-inspired show set at the Shinning’s fictional Overlook Hotel and several unscripted shows including a home design series hosted by none other than Ellen DeGeneres herself.
- The Mysterious Friends Reunion: That is right, folks, it is finally happening. After years of rumors and empty promises, HBO Max is finally going to bring us what we have been waiting for: A Friends reunion! Phoebe herself confirmed that “It’s happening” on HBO Max. Like basically everything else, this unscripted cast reunion was delayed due to COVID-19. However, until the big reveal comes, we can watch all our old favorite episodes on the new streaming service.