Cloud hosting is an essential tool for any modern business. Every decision in crafting OTELCO’s Cloud Server’s Infrastructure has been made with a view towards optimizing the hosting of clients’ 24/7/365 mission-critical Windows and Linux line-of-business applications.
High Availability is a key requirement of our clients. Indeed, availability is one of the Trust Principles covered in our SOC 2 Type II audit (along with Security and Confidentiality). We do a number of behind-the-scenes tasks to increase resilience — things many other hosting providers either do not offer, lack the capability, or charge extra. Examples include:
- Fully redundant networking hardware
- Fully redundant power paths
- Data centers are on separate power company grids
- Data centers have independent Internet peering but connected by our own 10Gbps DWDM fiber ring
- Auto restart of virtual servers in the event of hardware host failure
- Affinity and anti-affinity VM placements
- Secondary storage (snapshots) on separate SAN frames from primary storage (VM disks)
- Secondary storage replicates between data centers in near real time on a 10 Gbps DWDM fiber ring (not point-to-point)
Clients benefit from near-zero to no downtime in the event of hardware failures, maintenance, and life cycling. In the worst case of a host failure, a client’s VM will simply be down as long as it takes to reboot the VM on a different host.
Depending on your application’s architecture, we can provide RPO/RTO measured in minutes, not hours or days.
Security & Compliance
Most of our clients operate either in regulated industries, and/or their data is so proprietary that they might as well be, so security and compliance are at the forefront of how we do what we do. We provide:
- HIPAA, FISMA (Moderate) and SEC/NASD compliant hosting
- SOC 2 Type II audit covering Security, Availability, and Confidentiality
- ITIL-compliant Change Management and Incident Tracking systems
- In-House SIEM, Pen Testing, Log File analyses and other security services provided by AlienVault
- In-House Email encryption and DLP services provided by Barracuda
- Encryption at rest and in flight as needed
While many of our clients have used a “lift and shift” approach in migrating to our Cloud offerings, other clients utilize a hybrid approach. Regardless, many clients require secure, reliable Enterprise Integration with on-premises Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, and other systems. To meet these needs we offer:
- LAN expansion into our Cloud via VPN extension of clients’ RFC 1918 IP address spaces
- Carrier-neutral data center access
- Fiber connectivity to One Summer Street (Boston)
- Custom MPLS networking via OTELCO SiteLink IP
The vast majority of the applications we host for clients have very demanding I/O requirements; email (random read/write) and database (SQL Server, MySQL/Maria/Galera) are the most common. To meet those needs, we have invested in high-performance 10Gbps storage. Our CloudStack environment bifurcates storage to provide better performance for clients: Primary storage on a separate SAN frame is used for VM’s disks and Secondary storage on a different SAN frame is used for snapshots, templates etc. In addition, the storage frames we use provide a mix of auto-tiering, compression, and deduplication to further enhance performance.
To improve network performance, we have deployed a number of optimizations to eliminate any potential choke point, for example by allocating more CPUs to the CloudStack virtual routers and utilizing physically separate data and management network planes. We are always looking to improve performance.
Financially, moving to the Cloud involves trading Capital Expenditures for Operating Expenditures. In that regard, we are partners of Microsoft, Citrix, and Zimbra and can provide pay-as-you hosting licenses to provide a pure OpEx solution. Clients are free to use their existing purchased licensed, keeping in mind that Microsoft has some very strict (and not always intuitive) rules regarding mixing owned with hosted licensing. We can help you make the decision that’s best for your company by providing alternatives.
Managed Services Exclusive
Don’t miss this limited opportunity to receive a free month of Managed Services from OTELCO. First, follow this link for an IT consultation where one of our communication experts will assess your technology needs and work with you to develop a Managed Services solution that will best serve your business. Whatever the managed solution, your first month is on us. *
*Limitations apply, please see the consultation page for further details. Offer ends 12/31/2019