TV Self Troubleshooting Tips
FAQs about OTELCO TV service.
1. Connect the Amazon Fire Stick to your TV. The Amazon Fire Stick connects directly to an HDMI port on the back of your TV. Turn on your TV and make sure you have the correct source input selected.
2. Connect the Fire Stick to power. Make sure the Fire Stick’s micro-USB power cord is plugged into the Fire Stick, and the other end of the USB cord is attached to the included power adapter and plugged into an open power outlet. If your TV has an open USB port, you can plug it into the TV directly instead of using the included adapter.
- Use the included adapter and plug the Fire Stick directly into a power outlet on the wall if you see a message saying the Fire Stick is getting insufficient power.
3. Select Settings. Use the directional buttons on the remote to go to the very top of the Home screen, then select “Settings,” which is at the far right of the options at the very top of the screen.
- Press the Home button on the controller to go to the Home menu if you are not already on the main Home screen. It is the button with the outline of a house on it.
4. Select Network. It is the second option in the menu with the icon of three curved lines that resemble a Wi-Fi signal. Use the directional buttons on the remote to go down, and to the right to highlight the “Network” option in yellow, then press the Select button in the center of the remote. The Fire Stick will automatically start scanning for nearby networks.
5. Select your preferred network. As soon as you see the name of your home network in the list of nearby networks, use the directional buttons on the remote to highlight it in yellow, and then press the Select button in the center of the remote to select it.
- If you do not see your preferred network, select “Rescan” at the bottom of the list.
If your preferred network is hidden, select “Join Other Network” at the bottom of the list and manually type the name of the network you want to connect to.
6. Enter the Wi-Fi network password. If your network has a password, use the remote to navigate the on-screen keyboard and type the password for your Wi-Fi network.
- If your home network is not password protected, it will attempt to connect automatically.
7. Select Connect. It is in the lower-right corner of the on-screen keyboard. The Fire Stick will then connect to your home Wi-Fi network. Once the Fire Stick is connected, it will say “Connected” below the network’s name on the list of nearby networks.
- You can press the Home button on the remote to return to the Fire Stick’s Home screen.
Once you have your Roku device connected to power and powered on, you will be guided through a setup process that includes connecting the stick or box to the internet.
1. During setup for Roku boxes and TVs, you will be prompted to choose Wired or Wireless for connection to a router and the internet.
- If you select Wired, do not forget to connect your Roku box or TV to your router using an Ethernet cable. Your Roku device will directly connect to your home network and the internet. Once confirmed, you can continue with the remaining setup steps for your Roku device.
- If you select Wireless, there are additional steps to complete the connection process before moving on to the rest of the Roku device setup steps. For a first-time wireless connection setup, your Roku device will automatically scan for any available networks within range. Follow the steps below to connect your roku to your wireless OTELCO network.
2. Once the list of available networks appears, find and choose your wireless network from the list of those available.
- If you do not see your home network, select Scan again to see all networks and see if it appears on the next listing.
- If the Roku device cannot find your network, the Roku and router may be too far apart. If you have the option of connecting to your router using ethernet, that is one solution. Another is to move the Roku device and router closer together or add a wireless range extender or another option.
3. Once you choose your network, it will check to see if the Wi-Fi and internet connection are working properly. If so, then you can proceed. If not, make sure you have chosen the correct network.
4. When connected to your OTELCO Network, your Roku device will automatically search for any available firmware/software updates. If any are found download and install them.
5. Your Roku device may reboot/restart at the end of the software/firmware update process.
6. Wait for this process to finish before moving on to additional setup steps or viewing.